Balika Samridhi Yojana (BSY)
The Government of India has taken a significant step towards empowering girl children by introducing the “Balika Samridhi Yojana.” This comprehensive scheme focuses on elevating the status of girl children in society by providing financial assistance to families, especially those belonging to the Scheduled Caste and living below the poverty line. In this article, we will delve into the objectives, eligibility criteria, financial assistance details, required documents, key features, and the application procedure of the Balika Samridhi Yojana.
The objective of the Scheme:
The primary aim of the Balika Samridhi Yojana is to address and eliminate challenges such as child mortality and early marriage. The scheme endeavours to improve the girl-child ratio and promote education for girls, contributing to their economic empowerment. Notably, the scheme is implemented across both rural and urban areas.
Eligibility Criteria for BSY:
To avail the benefits of the Balika Samridhi Yojana, families must meet certain eligibility criteria:
- Belonging to the Economically Weaker Section (EWS)
- Below Poverty Line (BPL) families
- Financial vulnerability
- Non-income taxpayers
- No existing financial assistance or pension from the government or other local bodies
- Only students completing high school education are eligible
- Restriction on benefits for more than two female students from a family
- Annual parental income should not exceed Rs.2 lakhs
The scheme provides financial assistance to the first and second daughters of a family, distributed as follows:
- Class 1st to 3rd: INR 300 per annum for each class
- Class 4th: INR 500 per annum
- Class 5th: INR 600 per annum
- Class 6th to 7th: INR 700 per annum for each class
- Class 8th: INR 800 per annum
- Class 9th to 10th: INR 1000 per annum for each class
Documents Required for BSY:
Applicants need to submit the following documents along with the application form:
- Identity Proof: PAN Card, Aadhar, Driving License, Voter ID Card, etc.
- Address Proof: Aadhar, Passport, Utility bill, Property tax bill, etc.
- Income Certificate
- Resident Document
- Passport size photographs
- BPL Certificate
- School Admission documents/Final examination mark sheets
- Adoption certificate of the guardian
- Bank passbook or parent/guardian’s bank passbook
- Any other required documents
Key Features of BSY:
The Balika Samridhi Yojana incorporates several key features:
- Promoting sustainable growth for improved living standards
- Providing financial assistance to encourage female education
- Eliminating social evils and enhancing the standard of living for girls
- Timely subsidy disbursement to beneficiaries
- Implementation through Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) in rural areas and Health Department functionaries in urban zones
Procedure for Applying BSY Scheme
To avail of the benefits, applicants must follow a step-by-step procedure:
- Address the Gram Panchayats/Municipalities to apply for the scheme.
- Obtain the application form and fill it out in the prescribed format.
- Attach the specified records and submit the application to the concerned official.
- The application will be verified, and if conditions are not fulfilled, it will be returned for completion.
- The concerned Tehsil Officer will certify all documents and send them to the District Welfare Officer for further certification.
- Upon submission, the applicant will receive an acknowledgement for reference.
The Balika Samridhi Yojana stands as a commendable initiative by the Government of India to uplift the socio-economic status of girl children. By addressing key issues like child mortality and promoting education, the scheme contributes significantly to the overall development of society. The detailed examination of the objectives, eligibility criteria, financial assistance, required documents, and application procedure emphasizes the scheme’s importance in fostering a more inclusive and empowered future for girls in India.