Companies including Private limited company, Limited Liability Company, One Person Company, and Section 8 companies registered in India are required to file an annual return every year with MCA. The main aim of filing annual returns for company is to confirm that the company is still active in the market or in business/trading or the business will commence in the near future. If a company has not been filed its Annual Return with MCA for three consecutive fiscal years, then the director of that company can be disqualified under the Companies Act, 2013 and also leads to various penalties and punishments.
It is a must that company should acquit an Annual General Meeting at the end of every fiscal year, before filing the annual return. The Annual General Meeting of the newly integrated Companies should be held within 18 months from the date of incorporation. The financial year starts on April 1st and it ends on 31st March. Subsequent AGM shall be held at the earliest of following dates:
- 15 months from the date of previous AGM
- Last day of the calendar year i.e December 31st
- 6 months from the end of Financial Year
Furthermore, with MCA annual return, companies are required to File income tax return regardless of income, loss or profit. Therefore, even abeyant companies with no business deals or trades are required to file income tax return every year.
Procedure of Annual Return Filing
The procedure of Annual return filing for companies can be easily understood by the following process:
- Conduct a Board Meeting to
- Appoint an auditor to research and prepare the financial statements according to Schedule III of the Companies Act, 2013.
- The Director or the Secretary of the company should prepare the Board Report and Annual Return as per the Companies Act, 2013.
- Conduct another Board Meeting to approve the draft of financial statements of the company, Board Report and Annual Return must be prepared or supervised by the directors of the company.
- Hold the Annual General meeting and authorize the necessary declarations of the company. The financial statements of the company are considered to be final, only when those documents are approved by the shareholders at the Annual General Meeting.
Documents Required for Annual Filing
Every company while filing annual return, has to attach the following documents
- Balance-Sheet documents
- Profit & Loss Account documents
- Annual Return documents
- Cost Audit Report documents if applicable
The companies incorporated under the Companies Act 2013 or Companies Act 1956 is required to have the following eForms to file annual returns with the Registrar of Companies (ROC) without any problem:
- Form 23AC :This form is applicable for all types of companies and it is used to file Balance Sheet
- Form 23ACA: This form is required to file Profit & Loss Account
- Form 23AC-XBRL: This form is required to file Balance Sheet in XBRL format
- Form 23ACA-XBRL: This is applicable for selected class of companies and it is required to file the Profit & Loss Account
- Form 20B : This form in required to file Annual Return by Companies that holds share capital
- Form 66: This form is required to file Compliance Certificate for Companies that have paid capital of Rs. 10 lakh – Rs. 5 crore
- Form 21 A : This form is required to file Annual Return by Companies that not holds any share capital
- Form AOC-4 : This form is required to file financial statements and other documents for certain category
- Form AOC4- CFS: This form is required to file statement that contains salient features of consolidated financial statement of a group
- Form AOC4-XBRL: This form is required to file financial statement and other documents in XBRL format
- Form MGT-7: This form is required to file Annual Return by all Companies
E-filing Process of Annual Returns of Company on MCA
Filing annual returns for the company is made easy by e-filing process. Here is the procedure to file the annual return, just have a glance:
- Visit MCA website www.mca.gov.in, click MCA services menu and select E-filing from the menu and click Company Forms to download. Download the AOC-4 and MGT-7 forms.
- Select the E-forms which applicable of your company, fill all the needed details and attach the pdf or XML documents according to the requirements, attach the Digital Signature of the Director and the professional who is in-charge currently.
- By this way, register your company on MCA portal as a Business User. After this procedure, you will become the registered user on MCA and you can login with your ID and password.
- Now to file your company’s annual return, by logging into the website. Upload all needed E-forms and signed form from anywhere using internet.
- After uploading all the documents or E-forms, the system will generate a Service Request Number (SRN) automatically and also provide options for payment. There are two options for payments
- Pay using debit/credit card or internet banking and save the payment challan for further reference
- Pay Later and save the challan generated, here you have to pay the due time
- After completing the process, you can track the status of transaction from anywhere using SRN under MCA services menu.