UAN Registration & Activation – Universal Account Number Login, Generate UAN & Check UAN Status
UAN Registration & Activation – Universal Account Number Login, Generate UAN & Check UAN Status
If you planning for your future to save a certain part of your income? Then, there are numerous ways available to invest your savings and secure a better future. One of the best ways is to invest in a provident fund that helps you to lead a secure, retired life. A provident fund is an investment that employer/government and employee contribute a certain amount for the employee’s benefits.
You are familiar with the bank account number that is the unique identification number that helps you keep your money and assets safe. Like a bank account number, a UAN (Universal Account Number) number identifies your Employer Provident Fund (EPF) deposits and helps to keep them safe. Universal Account Number will maintain employees’ information related to their EPF account. Here let us know the information about Universal Account Number Login, how to generate UAN and check UAN status.
Attention EPF member!!
It is hereby notified that with effect from 1st April 2021 the IFSC of Andhra Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Allahabad Bank, Syndicate
Bank, United Bank of India and Corporation Bank has become invalid. Member needs to get the correct IFSC added through employer as till then no online claim filing will be facilitated. Kindly get the correct IFSC from your bank and get the details uploaded and approved. This will ensure that member’s claim amount is not returned by banks.
What is a UAN Number?
The acronym UAN stands for Universal Account Number that comprises information of all Member Ids of an employee. PF Number comprises all PF information and details of PF transaction of an employee with the issuing organization. UAN is a permanent number, eligible throughout an individual’s lifetime.
Universal Account Number is a 12-digit identification number that maintains the provident fund investment details. The Ministry of Labour and Employment issues this number and is assigned by the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). Your EPF account will be linked to UAN to simplify EPF withdrawals and transfers.
EPFO assigns two separate UAN numbers to you and your employer. It provides a new identification number that they link to your existing UAN. Once the UAN number is generated, it stays consistent even if you shift from one company to another company. Every time you shift to a new company, you need to intimate EPFO.
How to generate UAN?
UAN is generated by the company when the employee joins their service sector. If the company has 20 or more employees, it’s their responsibility to generate the UAN. In case if the employee already has the UAN assigned from the previous company, he needs to provide the details to the new employer. The employer has to follow the below steps to get a new UAN generated for the employee.
- Login to EPF Employer Portal using the company ID and password
- Click on the “Register Individual” in the Member section
- Enter the employee’s personal details such as Aadhaar, PAN, bank details etc.
- Check all details and approve in the “Approval” section
- Finally, a new UAN is generated by EPFO, and now the employer can successfully link the PF account with the UAN of the employee.
How to activate and log in to the EPFO website using UAN?
If you want to activate your UAN, you need to have your Universal Account Number and PF member ID.
Below are the steps to activate UAN on the EPFO portal
- Step 1: Visit the EPF member portal and click on ‘For Employees’ under the Our Services tab on the dashboard.
- Step 2: Under the service section, click on ‘Member UAN/Online Service,’ you will direct to the UAN portal.
- Step 3: On the UAN displayed portal, enter your UAN number, PF member ID, and mobile number and captcha characters.
- Step 4: Click on sign-in. You will receive the OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Step 5: Enter the validated OTP and Activate UAN.
- Step 6: Once your UAN is activated, you will receive a password on the given mobile number to access your account.
How to check UAN status?
If you want to check UAN status, below are the steps that you need to follow:
- Step 1: Visit the EPF member portal and under ‘Services’ on the dashboard, click on the ‘For employees’.
- Step 2: In the Services section, click on UAN online service (OCS/OTCP)
- Step 3: Click on ‘Know your UAN status’ in the ‘Important Links’ section.
- Step 4: Enter your member ID, Aadhaar number or PAN or PF number and other basic details like name, mobile number, date of birth and email ID. Then, enter the given captcha characters.
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Get Authorization Pin.’
- Step 6: An OTP is sent to your registered mobile number and enters the validate OTP
- Step 7: Your UAN number and the status will be sent to your registered mobile number.
What are the documents required to open UAN?
If you shift your job into a registered company, you need to submit the following documents to create an EPF account.
- Bank Details: Name, Account Number, IFSC code and branch name.
- ID proof: Any nationality identifies the card that is affixed with photography such as the Aadhaar card, voter ID, driving license, passport, etc.
- PAN card: Link your PAN to the UAN.
- Aadhaar card: It is mandatory to link your Aadhaar number to your bank account and mobile number.
- Address proof: Ration card, or any ID proof.
- ESIC card: If any.
Ways to check your PF balance with UAN
Generally, employers share your PF balance status at the end of each financial year. However, you don’t have to wait for long, and you can access your convenience using the UAN number by following simple steps.
- Check PF Balance using EPFO Portal
- Check PF Balance using SMS Facility
- Check PF Balance using Missed Call Facility
- Check PF Balance using UMANG App
Once you have registered on the unified member portal, you can view your passbook online. Once you can access your passbook online through the portal.
Steps to follow to view your passbook online:
- Step 1: Visit the EPF member portal and click on ‘Services.’ Click the ‘For employees’ tab, under the ‘Services’ tab.
- Step 2: In the service section, click on ‘Member Passbook.’
- Step 3: Enter your User Name and password and sign in to access your account.
Now, with the advent of technology, you can easily avail EPFO services by using an app. Just download from the app store, Google play store or UMANG website.
Features and benefits of UAN
- UAN centralize employee data in the country
- This unique number brings down the burden of employee verification from companies.
- This account helps the EPFO extract bank account details and KYC without the help of the employers.
- Easily track the multiple switches of the employee.
- With the introduction of the UAN, early withdrawals have reduced considerably.
Features of UAN
UAN remains the same even when your jobs change
UAN remains the same throughout your employment years, and every time you change your job, your new employer will assign you a new PF Member ID. This UAN brings all your PF accounts under one roof that is a UAN number and unchanged for a lifetime. When you change your job, you should notify your UAN number to your new employer. Then your new PF account is linked with your UAN.
Employer assigns the UAN number
If you work in an organization that contributes EPF, your employer allots the UAN number to your credit. Generally, the employer will provide you with the number.
In case they don’t, to get the UAN number, you should log into the UAN Portal and register your details such as PAN, Aadhaar and mobile number.
If you have two UAN, you should solve the matter
If you have more than one UAN, in case you forget to inform the new employer of your existing UAN or your previous employer has not updated your date of exit. If this happens, you should do one of the following:
Report to EPFO office
Request transfer of the old UAN to the new UAN
UAN helps to change your personal details easily
Every job is not permanent, and whenever you change jobs or transfer to another city, you need to change your phone number and contact details. Now, at the UAN portal, you can edit your personal details easily at your convenience.
How to edit the personal details?
- Login to the UAN member portal.
- Go to the ‘Profile Menu’
- Select ‘Edit Mobile No.’ and make necessary changes.
Once you have successfully altered, the notification will be sent to your registered mobile number and email ID.
UAN simplifies the system for withdrawing money
As your all member ID comes under one UAN, it enables you to access your previous PF accounts easily and helps to transfer or withdraw funds from that account. This system saves your time and helps to track your payments.
Advantages of UAN to employees
- Every new PF account for a new job will come under a single unified account.
- Using the UAN number, it is easier to withdraw money fully or partially online.
- Making use of this unique account number, the employee can transfer the PF balance from the old to a new one.
- You can easily download the PF statement anytime instantly for visa purposes, loan security, etc., using the UAN account number or logging in using the member ID.
- If the UAN is already Aadhaar and KYC-linked, there is no need for a new company to validate your profile.
- UAN ensures the employees that employers cannot withhold or access the PF money.
- UAN makes employees know that their employer is depositing their contribution regularly in the PF account.
- UAN ensures that the employee’s money is safe throughout their career.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to change mobile number in UAN without login?
- Visit UAN website
- Click on Forgot Password
- Enter UAN and displayed Captcha, then click submit
You will direct to the forget password page. If you require changing your mobile number, enter the UAN number and click the No option. After that, you will see enter your details screen, which asks for your Name, Date of Birth and Gender. After entering, click on verify. The Validate Against screen will extend. In that, you have to choose Aadhaar or PAN number and enter the selected number. And then click verify.
If all your details are entered is correct. The details validated message will display in green colour. Then enter the new mobile number and click OTP. You will receive the OTP on your new registered mobile number. Enter OTP in the field, and then you need to create the new password. The password should be in the required format. Click submit
Your mobile number will be successfully changed.
How to log in a PF account with a UAN number?
- Visit the EPFO online portal
- Enter UAN, Password and Captcha
- Click sign in.
How to log in to the UAN number the first time?
When you register your UAN, you will receive the OTP on your registered mobile number. Click ‘I Agree’ and enter the OTP and click ‘Validate OTP and Activate OTP’. On UAN activation, you can access your account using the password.
How to reset the UAN login password?
- Visit UAN Portal
- Click ‘Account Settings’ from the Homepage
- Enter the old password and enter the new password twice
- Click on update
How to create a UAN login id?
- Visit the UAN member portal.
- On the bottom right of the page, click the online Aadhar verified UAN allotment link
- Enter Aadhar number and wait for OTP that is sent to your registered mobile number
- Enter OTP and wait for the system to fetch your details from the Aadhar database
- Click to get your UAN and receive through SMS
How to login into EPF with UAN?
- Visit EPFO Portal
- Enter UAN, Password and Captcha
- Click Sign in
What is the format for my UAN password?
The password will be created by the user while activating their UAN. The password should be 8-25 characters long; it should have 1 special character, at least one alphanumeric uppercase character and one lowercase alphanumeric character.
What are the facilities available in the UAN Member Portal?
- Download your passbook
- Download your UAN card
- View previous member Ids
- Update your KYC details
- Check eligibility for transfer claims
- Update or edit personal details
How do I upload the scanned copy of the KYC document?
First, scan the KYC document and save it in .jpg/.gif/.png format. The size of the scanned copy should be below 300 KB.
In the ‘Profile’ menu of the UAN Member Portal, select ‘Update KYC Information. Upload the documents and it shows pending till the employer approves digitally.
If personal details are not correct in a UAN Card, then how do I correct these details?
Members can correct the details by submitting proof of document to the employer. The employer will verify and submit documents to the concerned field office.
Wrapping it up
Hope you have understood the concept of UAN registration and activation. UAN number is the best way to keep your PF funds handy and keep your money secured all through your career. Now, make use of the digital platform to maintain and supervise your money comfortably.