FSSAI State License
FSSAI is a mandatory food license for all other FBOs besides small-scale food businesses. Small-scale food business operators need to register. Hence applying for FSSAI State License, the FBO must have a turnover between Rs 12 lakh to Rs 20 crore. FSSAI registration is initiated by submitting Form A (application for Registration) or Form B (application for State and Central License) to the Food and Safety Department or by applying online on the FoSCoS portal. The required documents must accompany the application.
A food state license is a mandatory compliance for the food and restaurant business manufacturers that certifies the safety of food products supplied or manufactured by various organizations in India. FSSAI registration is initiated by submitting Form A (application for Registration) or Form B (application for State and Central License) to the Food and Safety Department or by applying online on the FoSCoS portal. The required documents must accompany the application.
Food License Requirement
It is mandatory for all FBOs apart from small-scale businesses to obtain FSSAI Licenses. It is classified under two categories, i.e. State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License, based only on the size of the business, whether medium-scale or large-scale.
Usually, FBOs have large manufacturers, importers, and exporters dealing in the large-scale food business to obtain FSSAI registration from the Central government and FBOs with small to medium-sized manufacturing units, transporters, marketers, traders etc., require to take FSSAI registration from the state government.
FSSAI State License Registration Process
-> Firstly, The FBO must create a User name and Password on FLRS. You require either a valid email id or Mobile Number.
-> To get a certificate, you must fill out Form B and attach the FBO photo identity and the respective state or central fee.
-> You also have to submit the Certificate of incorporation and the required rental agreement of the office or shops. Along with the copies and certificate, you also need to provide FSSAI State License with the list of food products you deal in, a plan for maintaining the safety and standard of the products and other required documents.
-> The department either accepts or rejects the application. If rejected, then the applicant shall be intimated of the same.
-> Subsequently, you will receive a verification by FSSAI and an inspecting officer from the FSSAI. Once it ensures that you have followed all the set standards and submitted genuine documents, you will be assigned the certificate within a 7-30 days bracket.
-> FBO should prominently display the registration certification at the place of business during business hours.
Procedure for checking Eligibility for Registration Certificate, State or Central License (For all applicants):
1. To obtain a central license, a state license or a registration certificate, you must check the eligibility option.
2. Then you have to provide the serial number, name and all other information that the department has asked.
3. You can operate in more than one premise or unit and work in multiple districts or states.
4. The final step is to check your eligibility
Documents required For Obtaining FSSAI State License:
- Form B duly completed and signed by the Proprietor or authorized Signatory
- Plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation
- List of Directors/ Partners/ Proprietor with address, contact details, and photo ID
- Name and list of equipment and machinery used, along with the number and installed capacity and also horsepower used
- Photo ID and address proof issued by the Government authority of the Proprietor/Partner/Director (s)/Authorized Signatory, including Identity Proof such as a Ration Card, Voter ID Card, PAN Card, Driving License, Passport, Aadhar Card, Senior Citizen Card, Department Issued ID
- List of food categories to be manufactured
- An authority letter from the manufacturer nominated a responsible person’s name and address.
- Analysis report of water to be used in the process to confirm the portability
- Proof of possession of premises
- Partnership deed/ affidavit of proprietorship
- Copy of certificate obtained under Coop Act 1861/Multistate Coop Act 2002
- NOC & Copy of FSSAI State License Manufacturer (Mandatory for relabelled and repackers only)
- Food safety management system plan or certificate (If any)
- Source of milk or procurement plan for milk, including the location of milk collection centres etc., in case of Milk and Milk Products processing units
- Source of raw material for milk, meat etc
- Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packages mineral water and/or carbonated from a recognized/public health laboratory
- Recall plan wherever applicable
- NOCs from Municipality or local body
- Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution
- Certificate provided by Ministry of Tourism (Mandatory only for Hotels)
- For Transporters-Supporting documentary proof for turnover or self-declaration of the number of Vehicles.
- Declaration form (In the case of Delhi and Himachal Pradesh)
1. What is the FSSAI State License?
The FSSAI State License is a mandatory registration required for food business operators (FBOs) operating at the state level in India. It is issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) to ensure compliance with food safety and quality regulations.
2. Who needs to obtain the FSSAI State License?
All food business operators involved in food manufacturing, processing, storage, distribution, and sale within a state, with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 12 lakhs, must obtain the FSSAI State License.
3. How to apply for the FSSAI State License?
To apply for the FSSAI State License, FBOs must submit an online application through the Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS) portal provided by the FSSAI. The application must include required documents and details about the business.
4. What documents are needed for the FSSAI State License registration?
The documents required for FSSAI State License registration include identity proof, address proof, proof of possession of premises, partnership deed (if applicable), and details of the food products to be handled.
5. What is the processing time for obtaining the FSSAI State License?
The processing time for the FSSAI State License application may vary, but it generally takes around 60 days from the submission date of the complete application and required documents.
6. Can I operate my food business without an FSSAI State License?
No, operating a food business without obtaining the necessary FSSAI license is illegal. Non-compliance can lead to penalties, fines, and even the closure of the business.
7. Can I transfer my FSSAI State License to another person?
No, the FSSAI State License is non-transferable. If there is a change in ownership or any other significant modifications, the new owner must apply for a fresh license.
8. Is it possible to change the FSSAI State License after obtaining it?
Yes, certain modifications, such as an address change or adding a new product category, can be made to the FSSAI State License. The applicant must apply for modifications through the FLRS portal.
9. Do I need multiple FSSAI licenses for operating in different states?
Yes, if your food business operates in multiple states, you must obtain a separate FSSAI State License for each state where the business is located.
10. Is the FSSAI State License different from the FSSAI Central License?
Yes, the FSSAI State License is for businesses operating within a state. At the same time, the FSSAI Central License is required for businesses operating at the national level (such as importers and exporters) or those with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 20 crores.