How to Check Your EPF Balance?
The Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) is a crucial financial instrument that acts as a savings tool for employees. The employee and the employer contribute an equal amount to this fund, which can be accessed upon retirement or when switching jobs. Keeping track of your EPF balance is essential for effective financial planning, accessing loans against your EPF balance, and monitoring your PF account’s status. In this article, we will explore the various methods available to check your EPF balance and the importance of having an active Universal Account Number (UAN).
The Significance of the EPF
The EPF is a reliable income source during retirement, ensuring financial security in your golden years. It is an excellent tool for long-term savings, providing a corpus that can be withdrawn while earning interest over time. To fully utilize this resource, staying informed about your EPF balance and knowing how to access it is essential.
Different Ways to Check Your EPF Balance
There are several convenient methods for checking your EPF balance:
- Through SMS: You can check your EPF balance via mobile number 7738299899. The message should be in the format ‘EPFOHO UAN ENG,’ where you can choose your preferred language for communication.
- Missed Call Service: Simply give a missed call to 9966044425 from your registered mobile number. You will receive an SMS with your PF details. Ensure your UAN is activated and linked to your bank account, Aadhaar, and PAN.
- EPFO Online Portal: Visit the EPFO portal and log in with your UAN and password. Select ‘ Member passbook ‘ from the ‘Our Services’ tab to view your PF details. You can also download your passbook from this portal.
- UMANG Mobile Application: Download the UMANG app and select the ‘EPFO’ option under ‘All Services.’ Click on ‘View Passbook’ to access your EPF balance and track claims.
Importance of UAN in Checking PF Balance
The Universal Account Number (UAN) is a unique identification number assigned to all EPF scheme participants. It simplifies managing your PF account online, including checking your EPF balance and applying for EPF loans. To check your EPF balance with UAN:
- Ensure that your employer has activated your UAN.
- Visit the EPFO portal, select ‘Our Services,’ and select ‘For Employees.’
- Click on ‘Member passbook’ and enter your UAN and password.
- Select the ‘Member ID’ and view your PF details.
- You can download your passbook for future reference.
Checking PF Balance Without a Registered Mobile Number
You can check your PF balance without your registered mobile number using your UAN and password. Follow these steps:
- Visit the PF passbook portal website and log in with your UAN and password.
- Select the PF account you want to check and click ‘View PF passbook old.’
- You can view your employee, employer, and pension balances in your PF account.
- Click ‘View Passbook (New: Yearly) for yearly PF contributions.’
The Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) is an invaluable financial asset that ensures financial security during retirement. Staying informed about your EPF balance and knowing how to access it is essential for financial planning and peace of mind. Utilize the methods mentioned above to conveniently check your EPF balance and take control of your financial future. Ensure that your UAN is active and linked to your essential documents for a seamless PF management experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I link my old inoperative PF account to my existing UAN? You can link your old PF account to your current UAN through the PF transfer process. Visit the UAN member portal, log in with your UAN and password, and follow the steps for one member and one EPF account (transfer request).
- Can I check my EPF balance to see if my EPF account is inoperative? Yes, you can still check your EPF balance even if your account is inoperative, as long as you are below 58. The EPF interest will be credited to your account even when inoperative.
- Can I check my EPF balance using my Aadhaar number? No, you cannot check your EPF balance using your Aadhaar card. You must provide your UAN to access your EPF balance.
- Can I check the EPF balance of my EPF account created from previous employment? Yes, all EPF accounts linked to your UAN will be displayed when you log in to the EPF portal. You can select the respective member ID of your previous account to check your balance.
- When does the EPF balance get updated? Your EPF balance is updated in your passbook within 24 hours of contributing. If it’s not updated after two days, contact your HR department or the EPFO helpdesk for assistance.