Update EPF Account Details
The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has recently introduced a streamlined process for updating member account details in the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF). This new development comes in a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) designed to facilitate the correction or modification of key information such as name, gender, date of birth, and more within the EPF database.
Issued on August 23, 2023, the EPFO circular highlights the need for standardization in the updating process. It identifies previous non-standard and unregulated methods that have occasionally resulted in identity manipulation, fraudulent activities, and impersonation cases. To address these concerns, the EPFO has introduced this SOP to ensure member data’s integrity.
What Does the New SOP Entail?
The new SOP allows EPF members to update 11 profile-related parameters within their EPF accounts. These parameters include:
- Date of birth
- Father’s name
- Marital status
- Date of Joining
- Date of leaving
- Reason for leaving
- Aadhaar number
These changes are categorized as either major or minor. EPF members must submit at least two documents for minor changes and at least three for major changes. Let’s delve into the specifics of minor and major changes for each parameter:
Minor Changes Include:
- Name: When two or fewer alphabet characters change without a phonetic alteration, such as adding a surname after marriage (for females) or removing titles like Dr., Shri, Mrs., etc.
- Gender: Change from female to male or other.
- Date of birth: Change of less than three years.
- Father’s name: When two or fewer alphabet characters change without a phonetic alteration or removing titles like Dr., Shri, Mrs., etc.
- Relationship: Change in the relationship of the mother or father.
- Marital status: Changes while the EPF member is alive.
- Date of joining: Changes while the EPF member is alive.
- Reason for leaving: Changes while the EPF member is alive.
- Date of leaving: Changes while the EPF member is alive.
- Nationality: Change from non-SSA (Social Security Agreement) to non-SSA country, SSA to SSA country, or SSA to non-SSA country.
Major Changes Include:
- Name: When more than two alphabet characters change with a phonetic alteration or expansion of the name.
- Date of birth: Change of more than three years.
- Father’s name: When more than two alphabet characters change with a phonetic alteration, inserting the name for the first time, or expanding the name.
- Marital status: Changes after the EPF member’s death.
- Date of joining: Changes after the EPF member’s death.
- Reason for leaving: Changes after the EPF member’s death.
- Date of leaving: Changes after the EPF member’s death.
- Nationality: Change from non-SSA to SSA country.
- Aadhaar: All types of updates or changes related to the Aadhaar card.
EPF Documentation and Process
EPF members must upload documentary proof, regardless of whether the changes are minor or major, along with the application form for updating their login details. Aadhaar is a mandatory document for upload. For minor updates, in addition to the Aadhaar card, one more document (such as PAN, passport, voter card, etc.) must be uploaded. For major updates, two additional documents are required, along with the Aadhaar card.
The EPFO’s circular imposes restrictions on the number of times corrections can be made by an EPF account holder for profile details. Changes are allowed only once for all 11 profile-related parameters, except for marital status, which can be changed twice.
The EPFO has established a timeline for processing update requests. Minor changes will be processed within T+7 days, while major changes will take up to T+15 days. Throughout the process, the EPFO will send SMS and email notifications to the mobile number linked to the Aadhaar number of the EPF member, keeping them informed at every stage.
How to Apply for EPF Account Updates?
To apply for minor and major changes in the EPF profile, follow these steps:
- Visit the EPFO Member Sewa portal and log in using your UAN (Universal Account Number) and password.
- Click on the ‘Joint Declaration (JD)’ tab.
- Enter the OTP received on your mobile number. The joint declaration form will appear.
- Submit the required details, upload supporting documents, and submit the request.
- The request will be sent to your employer for verification.
- The employer will verify the details against their records. If they match, the employer will forward the joint declaration application to the EPFO office for updating.
- If the information on the joint declaration application is incomplete or missing, it will be returned to the EPF member and reflected in their account.
It’s important to note that EPF members can only change or update account details for accounts generated by their current employer, not PF accounts created in previous organizations.
In conclusion, the EPFO’s new process for updating EPF account details is a significant step toward ensuring the accuracy and security of member data. With clearly defined guidelines for minor and major changes and a streamlined application process, EPF members can now make necessary updates with greater ease and confidence while safeguarding their financial futures.