125 total views, 3 views today
Check out the Virtual ID (VID) – Unique Identification Authority of India – UIDAI, How to generate it
The UIDAI – Unique Identification Authority of India has acquainted a new feature to ascertain increased security of data. This new feature of security is named as Aadhar Virtual ID (VID) which can be used for Aadhaar authentications. This new feature of UIDAI – Unique Identification Authority of India will enable authentication of transactions by furnishing authorized agencies just the needed data, like name, photograph, and address, and for e-KYC, as an alternative of the Aadhaar number.
Aadhaar Virtual ID is a 16-digit temporary code that provides the UIDAI virtual ID instead of your Aadhaar number. This can be used in many agencies and you can protect your Aadhaar details from being misused or accessed by someone. You can use this Aadhaar virtual ID to get your e-KYC done both in government and private organizations. UIDAI has implemented this new feature on June 1st 2018. The main reason behind the launch of Virtual ID is to address the issue of Aadhaar data breach. By using this Virtual ID, it is almost impossible for anyone to track your Aadhaar number. And you can use this Virtual ID to download the Aadhar card from UIDAI’s online portal.
What is Aadhaar Virtual ID?
Aadhaar Virtual ID is an alternative temporary code to Aadhaar number. This alternative temporary code consists of 16 numerals which can be generated against an Aadhaar number. However, the Aadhaar virtual ID cannot be used to retrieve or get back the original Aadhaar card as only one virtual ID code will be generated against an Aadhaar number at a time. And it can be generated again and again as per the user’s need. This temporary code is valid for only one day and gets changed with the change in time or date, i.e. at 00:00 am.
How to Generate Aadhaar Virtual ID Online?
Any individual can generate the virtual ID against your Aadhaar number. By visiting the UIDAI’s official site, you can generate the virtual ID online. In the future, there is a high possibility of generating the Virtual ID in the Aadhaar app. Still, it is worth mentioning because you should have registered your mobile number with UIDAI to use this service as the virtual ID code will be sent to your registered mobile number only. In case, if you have not registered your mobile number with UIDAI, then the first thing you have to do is to link your mobile number with Aadhaar. The process for retrieving a virtual ID and the process of Virtual ID generation is the same.
Follow the below mentioned steps to generate the Aadhaar virtual ID:
Step 1: Visit UIDAI’s official website at http://uidai.gov.in/
Step 2: Then, click on the “Virtual ID (VID) Generator” from Aadhaar Services tab
Step 3: After clicking it will take you to a new VID Generation page
Step 4: In this page, enter your 12 digit Aadhaar Number and the security code
Step 5: After entering the code, click on the “Send OTP” button in the page
Step 6: An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number with UIDAI
Step 7: Now, enter the OTP and click the option to either “Retrieve VID” or “Generate VID”
Step 8: Then click on the “Submit” button
Step 9: You will receive a confirmation message through SMS on the registered number with the 16-digit Virtual ID which means your Virtual ID Number has been successfully generated and messaged to your registered mobile number.”
Step 10: You can generate also generate virtual IDs for other Aadhaar numbers of your family
Why Do We Need Aadhar Virtual ID?
People have been worried about their Aadhaar number and its details safety and there have been a number of possibilities or cases where claims of Aadhaar data leakage have been filed officially. Now, UIDAI has addressed the worries and concerns of people and has come up with a solution and that is the introduction of virtual ID. In these cases, whenever the users provide their virtual IDs as an alternative to Aadhaar, the agencies or organizations cannot retrieve the applicant’s Aadhaar number and the authentication process is carried out as usual like before. Therefore, the Aadhaar details of the applicant are not accessed by the organizations or agencies in any manner, in this way your Aadhaar number and other details will be safe from being hacked.
An Aadhaar holder who generates the virtual ID can use it for the authentication process of any agencies or any service. And once the authentication process is complete, the details with the agency, even if saved, are rendered useless as the virtual ID is an alternative temporary code that is valid only for one day. And the user can regenerate Virtual ID again for other different purposes.
Features of the Aadhar Virtual ID
UIDAI has made various upgrades for Virtual ID. Some of the salient features are below:
- The virtual ID is a temporary 16-digit code which can be used as an alternative to Aadhaar for authentication purposes.
- There is only one virtual ID generated at a time. Whenever a new Virtual ID is issued, the old Virtual ID is useless.
- Agencies and organizations both private and government have updated their system to include VIDs from 1st June 2018
- Aadhaar number of the applicant cannot be recovered using virtual ID
- Virtual ID provides limited KYC access to agencies
- It is not compulsory to generate and provide Virtual IDs it all depends on the person’s decision and can provide his Aadhaar number instead of the Virtual ID
- Agencies or organizations cannot force the user or applicants to furnish their Aadhaar number for e-KYC or any verification process
- Agencies or organizations have to take applicant’s consent for authentication with their Virtual ID
- No agency is empowered to save the virtual ID of the applicant or any other Aadhaar details which has been taken for the authentication process.
- The validity of virtual ID is only till the user generates a new one
- The last generated Virtual ID is messaged to the registered mobile number, whenever you retrieve your Aadhaar.
You may also like to read:
- How do I cancel Udyog Aadhar registration?
- Is Udyog Aadhar the replacement of MSME?
- Highlights on Aadhaar and other Laws Amendment Bill?