FSSAI Food License
Food safety and hygiene have recently become crucial concerns for consumers and food businesses. FSSAI Food License stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and the Food Safety & Standards Act of 2006. It ensures the hygiene and safety standards to be maintained in the FSSAI registration so that people get hygienic & quality food. If you are operating a food-related business in Chennai, it is essential to understand the process of obtaining an FSSAI Food License in Chennai.
FSSAI, established under the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006, is responsible for setting scientific standards for food products and regulating their manufacturing, storage, distribution, sale, and import. The FSSAI Food License, also known as the FSSAI Registration or Food License, is mandatory for all food business operators (FBOs) in India, including Chennai. It ensures that the food products meet the necessary quality standards and are safe for consumption.
Why is FSSAI Food License registration necessary for restaurants or food outlets?
- As people’s standard of living has improved, people have started eating out; as a result, the number of restaurants has also mushroomed in recent years. Hence, most of the customers want to have good quality food which has been certified for safe consumption. The credibility of the restaurant business increases due to the FSSAI logo on the menu and pamphlets.
- The standard of the restaurant business operations improves when the restaurant has an FSSAI license. FSSAI license is also issued only to those restaurants which meet the specification; hence the standardization in the kitchen and back-end spaces needs to be achieved by the FSSAI guidelines.
- Every food package must have a label containing the logo of the FSSAI & the license number.
What are the documents required for FSSAI Food License Registration?
The documents required for the FSSAI registration are as follows:
- An identity proof that contains a photograph
- A passport-size photograph
- Proof of address (State & Central License)
- Import/export code
- A list of directors or partners
- A certificate of incorporation
- The MOA or AOA of the company
- No objection certificate from the municipality
- Food Safety Management Plan (Can be downloaded online, or the documents can be taken from the nearest Notary
- Kitchen layout plan
- Proof of possession of the premise (Sale Deed, Rent Agreement, Electricity Bill, etc.)
- Types of equipment to be used
- Medical certificate of employees
- For manufacturing units, additional documents are
- The blueprint of the warehouse, plant, etc.
- A list of all machinery
- Water test report from an ISI-approved facility
- List of all food categories
How to do FSSAI Food License registration for the restaurant?
FSSAI food license registration in Chennai can be done through the following steps:
Step 1: Visit the FSSAI online portal. And check the eligibility criteria under the various license heads, i.e. State License, Central License or Basic License. The turnover criteria for Basic License is up to 12 lakhs, Central License is above 20 crores, and the State License is up to 20
Step 2: After knowing the eligibility criteria, click the signup option. A valid phone number and an email id are required for signup.
Step 3: The signup process is complete with the choice of username & password, and the account is created for login. It is to be noted that the account created is valid for 30 days, after which the accounts get deactivated. The account holder must have FSSAI registration within a month.
Step 4: After logging on to the FSSAI account, go to the FSSAI registration at the official website to provide the relevant information
Step 5: Make a copy and take the printout of the form before submitting it. The hard copy can be used for future reference.
Step 6: After submission of the form, the reference number will appear on the form that needs to be noted to track the progress of the FSSAI license registration form
Step 7: Finally, you have to submit the printed online form to the regional authority or the state authority with the attached documents within 15 days from the day of online submission of the FSSAI license registration form
Renewal of FSSAI License
FSSAI Food Licenses have a limited validity period, typically 1 to 5 years. You must renew your license before it expires to avoid legal complications and continue operating your food business without interruptions.
Common Mistakes to Avoid During Registration
While applying for an FSSAI Food License, it is essential to avoid common mistakes that could lead to delays or rejections. Some of these mistakes include providing incorrect information, incomplete documentation, and non-compliance with regulations.
FSSAI License and Food Business Growth
Having an FSSAI Food License can significantly impact the growth and success of your food business. It ensures legal compliance and boosts consumer confidence, leading to increased sales and better expansion opportunities.
In conclusion, obtaining an FSSAI Food License is a fundamental step for all food business operators in Chennai. The license meets legal requirements and establishes credibility and trust among consumers. By adhering to food safety standards, you can ensure your customers’ well-being and drive your food business’s growth.
1. What is FSSAI?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is the governing body responsible for regulating food safety standards in India.
2. Who needs an FSSAI Food License?
All food business operators (FBOs) in India, including Chennai, must obtain an FSSAI Food License.
3. What are the benefits of obtaining an FSSAI License?
An FSSAI License assures consumers of the safety and quality of food products, enhances brand reputation, and fosters business growth.
4. Can a small food vendor apply for a Central FSSAI License?
No, a Central FSSAI License is required for large businesses with operations in multiple states or involved in import and export.
5. What is the validity period of an FSSAI Food License?
The validity of an FSSAI Food License typically ranges from 1 to 5 years, depending on the type of license obtained.